Tuesday, January 10, 2006

"Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lill, But everyone knew her as Nancy."

Ok, so I came up with what I think is a really good metaphor for the new approach to law school I developed today. When did I come up with the metaphor? Why, while listening to my iPod on shuffle today, of course.

Rocky Raccoon came on, which I have always had an odd fascination with since let's face it, it's just a weird song. I got to thinking about the take home message of a song about a Raccoon getting shot by a quick drawing Raccoon named Dan whom Rocky had intended to shoot first. The thing is, I've never been able to come up with a deeper meaning for this song and it really bothers me. Now, because I have the attention span of a 4 year old on trucker drugs my pondering Rocky Raccoon led me to think about it's similarities with R-Kelly's Trapped in a Closet. What do they have in common? Well, in my mind they are similar because they're both about cheating, ex-lover's, violence, and revenge; so clearly they're practically the same thing.

Now, today in Crim Pro 2 I made the executive decision to make a better effort to re-word things so that when I go back and read my notes they might actually make some sense to me (or at the least make me laugh), something I've never really put the effort into in law school. In other words, I've decided it dumb it down and make it simple so my notes are more analogous to Rocky Raccoon then to Trapped in a Closet. My reasoning, when I hear Trapped in a Closet I'm just confused; but when I hear Rocky Raccoon I understand what's going on and I laugh...Clearly the simple approach is much better. Anyone still following me? No, I didn't think so. Hence I'm going to share some choice examples from the notes I took this evening:
  1. Too fucking bad for Betts.
  2. Attorney should have argued that the circumstances prejudiced Betts' but apparently he was a tool.
  3. Supreme Court were pussies and would not infringe on that.
  4. Gideon is convicted of Breaking and Entering in some bullshit small town in Florida. Only attorney's appointed in Capital cases in FL then (Jeb's Wet dream).
  5. Big fucking surprise that the court finds that the court in Betts was wrong. Mere existence of a serious criminal charge requires the assistance of counsel at trail. Black delivers the opinion and kicks ass getting a 9-0 decision. ANYBODY charged with a felony gets an attorney, no guarantee that the attorney won' be an overworked public defender. Actually, nevermind that probably is guaranteed.
  6. Large focus on issues of fundamental fairness at this point in time because the poor were being treated like crap, right before LBJ announced the war on poverty (a super huge success).
  7. Walter Mondale organized (an oxymoron, I know) Attorney Generals to support Gideon.
  8. Cannot be incarcerated for any offense if you didn't have an attorney during your trial. Kinda weird, it's not that you need an attorney if you could get jail-It's that if you do go to jail you needed an attorney...Fucking good ass example of why the justice system is back-asswards.
  9. Can that uncounseled conviction be used against him now? Heck yes it can!

Yes, I do know this is pretty much the worst post ever made, but I swear it all makes sense to me. Plus it helped me pay attention. So best case scenario it helps my grades, worst case scenario my grades stay the same and I have something to laugh at when I'm reviewing for exams...Sounds like a win-win situation to me.

NOTE: The cussing is the big new addition...In case that was unclear. I mean I have cussed in my notes before, but not to this degree for some dumbass reason I'm just realizing now this is the key to keeping my attention.