Thursday, September 22, 2005

"I've never been so alive."

It sounds sick and I'm sure I'll be eating my words in November but I'm really enjoying Law School right now. I haven't had much time to blog because I've been so busy being sick, actually going to class, reading, interviewing, socializing, babysitting, Mentoring, and I've even managed to fit some dating in.

Health: The allergies I whined about the other day ended up being a cold-which turned into bronchitis. My mom pointed out that she used to always get bronchitis when she smoked-no really mom? Smoking effects your lungs? In a bad way? I refuse to believe it! You don't know WHAT you're talking about!

School: As I said everything is going great. I got cold called in 2 different classes on Tuesday. It could have been so much worse since I forgot my laptop that day (how I did that I will never know) but I did really well and now it's out of the way. Taxation is difficult but I really like the professor-and he adores me. Everytime he tells a cheesy joke and people don't laugh he looks over at me and smiles since I'm always at least smiling at him or usually laughing since I think he's hilarious.

The Interview: Tuesday was my interview with the prosecutor's office. It was horrible. I had the 2nd to last interview of the day and I honestly think he'd written me off before I walked in the door. He didn't even shake my hand at the start of the interview or when it was ending. He didn't ask me about my resume, all he did was throw 3 hypos at me which were completely ridiculous. Just so you can see what I was dealing with:

  1. Neighbors hearing fighting and call police, police and neighbors see husband strike wife, arrest husband, wife will not testify against him, what do you tell her? Do you press charges still? I first stressed how I would inform her of all the options and safehavens there are for battered women (which he did not seem to care about). He just kept pressing the issue of whether I'd charge the spouse. I finally said I could not make a decision like that without a prior history of the husband's in front of me. With a victim unwilling to testify I didn't know if it was the roll of the state to interfere with a family matter. Not to mention that regardless of whether she testifies or not if he is sent to jail she'll probably face violence from that-so how is that really helping the victim. Plus the family is loosing wages while the husband is in jail. While my instinct is to lock up all spousal abusers I'm just not sure proceeding with that case and wasting valuable time is worth it.
  2. 85 year old man is mugged, starts carrying a concealed weapon out of fear and is unlikely to be a repeat offender, do you charge him? If you choose not to charge him what do you do when the arresting officer gets upset with you for not doing what he considers to be your job? I said I would not charge him with the CCW Violation provided I was certain he wouldn't be a repeat offender because it seemed like a waste of valuable time. And as for the officers-it's not really a shocker that police and lawyer's don't get along and this is one of the reasons. While I wouldn't want to intentionally get an offiver mad at me I also am not going to be told how to do my job by one. (I think he liked this answer).
  3. 80 year old lady has china stolen out of her car, print on the glass matches man who lives 3 blocks down, search his house, find the plates, his attorney want to waive the preliminary examination and just go to trial-do you? I explained that I hadn't had criminal procedure and while saving time was obviously a benefit of waiving it I wasn't fully aware of what happens at the preliminary exam (they don't show that on "Law and Order") and couldn't really make an educated decision. (Prosecutor then presses the issue and forces me to make an uninformed choice). I decide to wave it. (He then skips ahead 6 months to trail and decides the 80 year old lady died-he then informs me I don't have a case since I don't have her testimony from the exam). UMM THANKS JACKASS-DIDN'T I JUST TELL YOU I DIDN'T KNOW ENOUGH ABOUT IT TO MAKE A CHOICE! WAY TO ASK ME A TRICK QUESTION AND THEN WHEN I TELL YOU I DON'T THINK I CAN ANSWER IT COERCE ME INTO ANSWERING WRONG SO YOU CAN FEEL BETTER ABOUT YOURSELF.

So yeah, not the best interview in history-but it convinced me I DO NOT want to work there-as if I didn't already know that.

***Update: For the answers I should have given had I actually wanted the job visit Blonde Justice.

Dating: Both of the on-again/off-again boys are on again. It always works like this for some reason and it's really hard for me since they're friends. It's not that bad since the one that I'm just not that into knows about the one I am into-so if we end up at the same places thus far things have always worked out fine. (I do not know how it would work out if I was out with the one that I'm just not that into and we ran into the one I am into). It was much harder when they were living together but luckily the one who I am into moved out recently. (Isn't it great how my relationships are getting more and more childish and complicated as I get older? If anyone even understood this description without reading it twice I'd be shocked.)

1 comment:

Blonde Justice said...

I had a lot of comments here, and it got too long, so I posted it on my own blog....

All kidding aside, though, it sounds like you held your own and you probably don't want to work for those jerks anyway.