Monday, January 23, 2006

Hello Moto?

While legally I'm an adult and all and essentially I've been financially independent from my parents since I graduated from high school there is one thing they still pay for me. My cell phone bill. I've offered to start paying it on numerous occasions and they always say that since we're all on the same contract they'll keep paying mine (really this makes no sense being that they all share airtime, but I have my own plan, but whatever).

As a result, because my dad is the primary account holder I can't make substantial changes without him being there. The last time I went into Verizon with my dad was the day I graduated college (May 1st, 2004). Everytime I go into a Verizon with him we end up getting into a HUGE fight because he always hassles the sales people. How he hassles the people and the stuff he pulls could be a whole separate post; but let's just say that the Verizon by our house now has a sign that reads "No Public Restroom" because he's always complaining that he has to wait so long and he's middle aged and he's about to pee his pants and chairs for people to sit in after he complained that he's old and can't stand so one day he like sat on the floor in the middle of the store (mind you the man is a blue collar worker who climbs ladders all day long)...To say the least his behavior is mortifying.

Normally needing him to make changes isn't too big of a problem, and something I'm willing to deal with in exchange for a free cellphone. However, my cell phone is currently in pretty rough shape. It's pictured below, please note all the scratches and at the upper right corner the receptacle which the antenna used to reside (yes I know I could get a new antenna but that is $15 and I plan on getting a new phone soon).


While the cosmetic issues are clearly annoying to me and the lost reception can be troubling but for the most part they don't effect my ability to use my phone. However, the phone itself is now not functioning properly. The screen routinely freezes (the only way to fix it is to remove the battery and even then it usually takes about 5 attempts to fix it), the alarm clock is inaccessible because the "OK" button no longer works (so basically any feature I would want to use which requires that is lost), and for added fun the Caller ID is regularly wrong about who is actually calling. (Yes I have insurance and could get a new one, but then I'd have to pay $50 and I really don't want to do that any more then I wanted to pay $15 for a new antenna, the bonus to getting a new phone would be not having to pay for the antenna but I digress).

I just realized I've rambled on about my cell phone for a long time, but I swear I'm getting to the point. However, by the time I do the issue will be beaten into the ground. Whatever, be happy I'm posting people, I've been having writers block.

So, despite the fact that I knew I would most likely need my father to be there to sign a new contract or some shit in order for me to get a new phone. Still I braved the Verizon Store on Sunday around noon in the vain hope that I could just get a new damn phone on my own, like a grown up. The catch was, I started looking around at the phone and they were all HUGE or ugly. All the phones had MP3 players (buy an iPod-hell even a shuffle would work-not an iTunes phone, you will not be disappointed) built in or some other crazy feature which I do not need. The only features I find handy on a phone and would like mine to have are:

  1. Voice Dial
  2. Display on the front-color display is preferable
  3. Speakerphone

Yeah, that's about it. I have a sweet digital camera so a camera phone isn't necessary, but it might be handy. Basically, I want a small phone that works well, is durable, cute, and has minimal features. Not very difficult. Ideally I could get a razr. In fact, Verizon now carries a razr, the catch it that it's 2 tone silver and gunmetal and ugly as hell.

Ok, all this waxing on about being not fussy about what I want in a phone was bullshit. I do want a specific thing, that specific thing is this. However, Verizon isn't carrying it yet and nobody can tell me when they will be. The moronic sales guys said they should have it by February. So currently I'm stuck with my shafted phone indefinitely. Splendid.