Thursday, February 23, 2006

That's interesting John, that glass looks half full to me...Wow, now that you mention it, it *is* half full.

I woke up this morning and my entire upper left arm was itchy, red, hot and swollen; GROSS!, I know. I've always had really sensitive skin, and while nothing like this has ever happened to me before, I didn't think much of it in general. I put on a cashmere sweater in the hope that it wouldn't irritate it too much and actually made it into work 15 minutes early for once (I run a standard 10 minutes late everywhere-which I blame on the college time system in which nothing starts on the hour but rather 10 past).

While I was at work it started getting worse, however, I was in the midst of writing an Summary Disposition motion, so there was no way I was leaving. I went to the first aid cabinet, grabbed an ice pack, shoved it in my sleeve and went back to work figuring nobody would notice. Of course [Hours] came over to my desk to ask me something and was immediately distracted by the size of my arm. I explained that I had an ice pack on it and that it was fine, yet he demanded to see it. After taking one look at it he ordered me into his office where he began his interrogation.

Do you have a Doctor? Call them! They can't see you today? Call them back and ask what emergency room should go to! Are you sure you don't want me to call a Doctor?
I told him it would be fine and that I was sure it was nothing to worry about and that I would just wait and see if it cleared up on it's own. He started yelling at me and told me I was going to the doctor TODAY. I finally consented, however on my way to the Doctor I stopped for lunch at Einstein Brothers and at the Full Service Car Wash (they vacuum your car and clean the interior in addition to washing the outside); so needless to say, I wasn't in too big of a hurry.

When I called him back and reported what the Doctor had told me-that it wasn't a bug bite or hives but it looked like an allergic reaction to something, but it was difficult to say what, since I hadn't changed any of my products lately-he decided that wasn't good enough. He called a Doctor friend of his and made me an appointment for tomorrow since he decided I need a second opinion.

I'm a bit put off since I don't really even like it when my parents step in like that, however, I do have to say it is very nice that he's so concerned about my wellbeing. He probably just figures he needs to get it fixed now before it gets any worse and I have to miss a bunch of work after they amputate my arm or some shit, it's all about having the lowest possible loss of productivity.

No comments: