Saturday, September 16, 2006

Parting Ways

Interesting article about what your hair part says about your personality and how you are perceived.

Men W/Left Part: Natural for men, usually works well for them. Perceived as popular, successful, strong, traditional. Can be out of touch with the feminine side of themselves. Examples: John Wayne, Tom Brokaw, John F. Kennedy, Edward M. Kennedy

Women W/Left Part: Usually ok, especially for women interested in making it in business and politics. Perceived as intelligent, incharge, reliable. Can sometimes be perceived as too “masculine”, and/or can create difficulties with fulfilling traditionally feminine roles. Examples: Hillary Clinton, Margaret Thatcher, Christine Todd Whitman

Men W/Right Part: Usually unnatural for men. Can create an uncomfortable image; can cause social shunning, sometimes leading to unusual or eccentric behavior. Perceived as atypical, open, radical. Can work ok if the man is very confident, attractive, or striving to be respected in a non-traditional male role. Examples: Al Gore, Rush Limbaugh, Robert F. Kennedy, Charlie Rose, Tom Snyder

Women W/Right Part: Natural for women. Usually works ok. Perceived as very feminine, gentle, caring. Can cause problems of not being taken seriously. Examples: Martha Stewart, Jane Pauley, Betsy McCaughey Ross, Geraldine Ferraro

Men + Women W/No Part, Center Part or Bald: Natural for men and women. Perceived as balanced, trustworthy and wise. Can lack the flair associated with the other types. Examples: U.S. Presidents 1-9, Joseph P. Kennedy II, Sean Connery


I've been a lefty for years. Interestingly enough, I thought about all the people in my office. My extremely scientific study revealed:
  • Female Attorneys: All are parted on the left side with the exception of the one who has hair down to her ass and ALWAYS pulls it back in a 1/2 pony tail. So she's not really exception, I just can't accurately assess her. In actuality she seems like a no part or a right parter.
  • Secretaries/Paralegals (all female): The majority part on the right, with a few who part in the center.
  • Male Attorney's: The majority are left parters. A few no parts. A few balds. One of them has a right part. While one of my favorite people in the office, he is definitely quirky and relates better to his cats than to most people.

Hat Tip.

6 comments:

The Marpepps! said...

Holy cow. I post on the left too. I guess I'm not that surprised, just giggling at myself for saying that parting it on the left just "felt more natural." I should have known there was some societal implication.

Nic said...

hmmm .... I think I'm going to have to swap sides ...

Elle Woods said...

Hmm, I'm a righty but I part left. My left handed best friend is a left parter. I will say it is easier for me when I blow dry to have the majority of my hair on the right side.

Nic said...

I'm a lefty but I blow dry on the right too - it's just because I'm totally useless with my left side.

Dylan said...

I wondered if some of this isn't based on narcissism. Doesn't a right part person see a left when he looks in the mirror?

Elle Woods said...

Yeah, but when you look in a mirror you get the same view of yourself as you get, generally, when you look at other people. So I don't know how that would work.