Friday, October 14, 2005

Why Blog?

Lately, as more and more people find out I've been blogging I seem to be dealing with the question of "Why do you blog?" more and more.

I'm not really even sure who reads anymore so my initial justification of wanting to keep friends who had moved away informed doesn't really hold up. So, I got to thinking. All I could really come up with was that I'm narcissistic and I like that people read what I have to say (despite excessive grammatical errors, generally poor writing, and WAY too many parenthesis...I'm sure everyone is wondering how I even got into law school given my lack of ability to post something without spelling errors/typos/etc).

I often think of Blogging as very therapeutic-but really I think it's just that it's a forum where I can exercise my narcissism without criticism and I enjoy that so much I find it therapeutic.

There is also that I like to tell myself I'm funny (when in reality, deepdown, I know that the only person who ever finds this blog humorous is me-but whatever, I'm narcissistic and don't really care).

In the vein of indulging my "telling of stories that only I find funny" today I was talking to a friend about naming children (and how I had named the little boy next door-Matthew Thomas, if you're interested), and the sorts of names I enjoy the following conversation (roughly) ensued.

Me: I really like the names Oliver and Olivia for kids.

Friend: I like Morgan, for girls.

Me: Yeah, and I like Caleb and Connor.

Friend: Those are names yuppies give their kids.

Me: I have a Caribou Coffee Card on my keychain, I am a yuppie...I also like Gwendolyn.

Friend: What is with people getting into old-timey names, how about Gertrude.

I don't know why, but I thought it was the funniest thing I've ever heard...I doubt any of my 4 readers even cracked a smile. I appreciate that I have any readers any more since I'm not too sure I'd still be reading (but then again for all I know all my original readers are gone).

5 comments:

mike said...

Who is this hilarious friend of yours?

Elle Woods said...

Psssh...Maybe I'll post a pic of him and you can see if you know him.

Anonymous said...

honey, i'm still reading. and clearly i smiled, but only at the i am a yuppie part, the rest of it was rather boring.

anyways, i like the name azure, i think its cute, and it is carrying on my name.

Elle Woods said...

Thanks for the honesty Hunny. We can name our love child "Azure", however, I feel "Verdi" carries on your name better.

RedHerring45 said...

I blog because I imagine an army of like minded people read my blog everyday.

My goal is to 100 readers a day.

My best day was 13 and that was because my wife went to my blog 7 times.

Myrtle is a good name.