Sunday, November 20, 2005

Movies I've Watched in the Last 8 Days:

Rented
200 Cigarettes: I enjoyed finally seeing this, I'd seen bits and pieces over the years but never actually seen the whole thing. Courtney Love did an excellent job and looked amazing (particularly compared to nowadays).
Being John Malcovich: I'd always wanted to see this and never had. I had no idea what it was about (other then that people were John Malcovich's brain) and I thought it was really good.
Best in Show: I'm watching this one right now. "We met at Starbucks, not at the same Starbucks, but we saw each other at different Starbucks across the street from each other."
Gia: I saw the Angelina Jolie True Hollywood story and decided I really wanted to see this after I looked up who Gia was I decided to rent it. Excellent.
Layer Cake: I just randomly grabbed this at Blockbuster since I had essentially seen every other new release
Magnolia: I have it for an entire week so I think I'll watch it again since I've always wanted to see it and it was really good.
Mulholland Drive: I think I'm going to have to watch this one again also, particularly since I've found David Lynch's tips to unlocking the thriller. Excellent, but crazy.
Slingblade: Ok technically I haven't watched this one yet but I rented it and it's next. Don't act like you're not impressed I've watched all these movies lately just because I didn't get to this one yet.
The Tao of Steve: Tips for chubby stoners to get hot chicks. I don't know how I feel about that.

(If you can't tell I've seen everything in the new release section that I want to see and so I have started renting movies I've always wanted to see and hadn't yet.)

Purchased (and watched-almost all of these I've previously seen)
Anchorman: I've seen this movie so many times and I still love it. I don't know if I mentioned but my brother went as Ron Burgundy for Halloween.
The Aviator: I love watching movies with "eccentric" people-it makes me feel better about my eccentric ways. This is the only one I hadn't seen before I bought it. It was also my least favorite.
Closer: "Everybody wants to be happy.""Depressives don't. They want to be unhappy to confirm they're depressed. If they were happy they couldn't be depressed anymore. They'd have to go out into the world and live. Which can be depressing."
Legally Blonde II (Red, White and Blonde): I know you're shocked I didn't own it, but I'd just never gotten around to buying it so when my mom got it for me I was super excited. I don't find it as good as the first but I still love it.
Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou: "Do all the interns get glocks?"
Mermaids: I actually watched it twice. The 2nd time the gay husband and I started it at the same time in our respective states and "watched it together."
Sideways: Difficult to watch movies about wine tasting when I've been forced on the wagon.
Spanglish: I love Adam Sandler in this, after Punch Drunk Love I wasn't convinced about Adam Sandler's dramatic skills but this movie was more in his range and I think he's great.
Super Troopers: "Excuse me, are you saying meow?"

Owned (and re-watched)
The Breakfast Club: Ohh how I love the 1980's John Hughes movies.
Fight Club: "Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... Our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."
Garden State: Amazing Soundtrack.
Girl, Interrupted: Another movie the gay husband and I "watched together."
I Heart Huckabees: I love this movie.
Legally Blonde: Timeless Classic. What girl in her right mind can resist a Legally Blonde marathon.

Went to the Theatre and Saw
Walk the Line: Joaquin Pheonix was amazing, I can't believe how much he sounded like Johnny Cash. I had no idea how bad Johnny's drug addiction to amphetamines and barbiturates (the movie makes it look like it was just amphetamines but an article I read noted both) was or that on tour with Elvis was where his addiction began. Admittedly, I didn't know much about Johnny Cash before I saw the movie. Reese Witherspoon was great and her singing was, dare I say, better then Pheonix's. Because June Carter's sound is less known she seemed to be able to use a bit more of her own voice which was excellent. She came off as more "cutesy" then June Carter's real voice sounds but it fit her character. I've read the criticism of Johnny's Daughter, and while I'm sure it has merit I don't really understand her characterization as "sex, drugs and rock'n'roll" movie. My brother wanted to go see Harry Potter but since I haven't seen any of the other movies or read any of the books (I never got into the whole craze) I insisted on this movie. He said he was really happy he saw it and I loved it.

Despite what you might believe based on my apparent lack of concern I do have finals coming up, but apparently I'm not really worried about them at all. I refused to study until at least Thanksgiving.

No comments: