Friday, November 11, 2005

Random Rant

Ok, here's the thing. I love my mom to death. Since I reached the age of 12 and became more mature then my father my Mom has really been the only parent I've gotten along with. While I respect what my father does for our family and the effort that he puts forth we just do not get along.

My Mom and I hang out together, go shopping, go to bars, flirt with guys and cause general havoc. A friend once remarked "You think [Elle] is crazy, you should she her and her Mom together." We both like to have a good time and usually let loose around each other.

Lately I've taken to calling her by her first name since I look at her more as a friend then a mom. My dad has a real problem with this, he claims it's because it "shows lack of respect." I think it's because he knows I'd never be close enough with him to call him by his first name. Plus, he knows I respect my mom way more then I respect him so that kinda puts his theory out the window.

Since I've been sick my Mom has really been baby-ing me. The dropping off the prescriptions, calling every 3 hours to check on me, and of course-bringing soup by. It's not that I don't greatly appreciate it-I do. But, when she freaked out about the aspirin in the cupboard I got slightly annoyed.

I mentioned when she was over dropping off soup that I was starting to feel really bad and thinking about taking something since my fever had been so high. She looked in the medicine cabinet and flipped out because all she saw was aspirin, which she claimed, causes Reye's Syndrome in "People my age." First of all, there was also motrin, tylenol, aleve and xanax (which I offered to her in the hopes she'd calm down). I had no intention of taking the aspirin and yet it's presence made her flip out. Hey, Mom, ever think about the fact that I get headaches daily and take different things for them?

All of the over mothering suddenly made sense. Despite the fact that I'm 22 she still thinks I'm a child, or at best an adolescent. I guess I understand the whole "your kids are your babies no matter how old they are" thing, but I'm a college graduate and a second year law student; eventually she'll have to let go.

The whole over mothering thing has gotten worse as my brother has grown more independent. He used to love to be babied and so I got off easy. Now he's gone all the time and most likely going to college in California next year so that just leaves me for my Mom to baby. It's so weird to come home from college and have the time I spend with my mom divided up between drinking, dining, shopping and then being babied. I really thought we were peers but apparently I will just always be her "Princess"-yes, my mom calls me "Princess"-don't act so surprised.

Whatever, I'm just being whiney since I like to be left alone when I'm sick and my mom has not exactly been doing that.

No comments: