Monday, December 5, 2005

Clarification

Ever since creating my blog screenname (ElleWoods626) I've been really surprised by the amount of response I've gotten from readers.

Most of them seem to realize that I don't take law school too seriously and are looking for a distraction. However, sometimes someone starts asking me questions about success in law school and getting an internship. When this happens the first thing that comes to my mind is "Is this a joke?" Granted I've reformed and I don't go to class drunk anymore, I do some reading, and I do participate when I have something worthwhile to say; but I am by no means a model student.

I have yet to start studying for my exams, I do not outline, I do not read if there is not a chance I will be called on, I do not study on my breaks between class but rather catch up on blog reading and e-mail, I sleep in class, I didn't even try out for moot court, I never picked up the write on packet for law review, last year I was caught in the bar by my Crim Law professor before his class more times then I can count, I didn't try to get a law related job last summer, the job I have now I got because of a family connection, I feel that law school is a cruel joke and I'll learn what I need to pass the bar from BarBri, I'm fairly certain I will get a job at the firm I work for now so I'm not too concerned about my grades (as if I was before), I used to be the self titled "social chair" of my 1L class, I watch DVD's in class with the sound off, I have played nearly 8,000 games of free cell, I can beat spider solitaire with 4 suits, I had to stop playing regular solitaire because it was too easy, I barely take notes, I walk into exams 1 minute before they start, I finish my exams in roughly 1/2 the allotted time, I let people think my grades are lower then they really are since otherwise they usually get pissy since they know I never study and it just seems easier, I never wanted a big firm job so being the top 10% was never important to me.

Mainly I don't find law school that difficult and find all the people who try so hard to be somewhat ridiculous. I went to my safety school for a reason, and it's currently paying off-I can slack and still not be in terrible shape. Being cut throat with classmates over grades just isn't my style. Maybe I'm just not the type of person to give myself an ulcer over getting a 1/3rd of a letter grade lower then the grade I imposed on myself as what I should get. It just doesn't seem worth it to me.

That said, I'm happy to entertain any E-Mails or IM's I get, just don't expect me to be too helpful at anything other then providing you with a distraction from your studies.

UPDATE: My tax class is cancelled tomorrow since my Professor it out of the country. In order to make up the class we're having a discussion board and I lucked out to be the person who had a write an answer that a couple of my fellow students then simply had to agree or disagree with. The student critiquing me is a good friend, but a total gunner and model student. I just got an e-mail that said "Great work I was so impressed with your answer, do you want to study this weekend?" Granted I studied with her all 1L year but getting invited to join a Law Review study group is the Holy Grail for a slacker like me; great outlines, good explanations of questions, and no real work involved for me. Simply put, I Rock.

6 comments:

Moonlighting in Misery said...

I'm not quite sure it matters that your CrimLaw Prof found you at the bar before his class.

Perhaps you should've asked yourself why you found HIM there so many times?

. . . And then bought him a drink.

Elle Woods said...

Well, he was picking up soup and salad after running on his lunch hour. Trust me, he wasn't there to drink.

Anonymous said...

Hi again friend! I'm the random gold-dress girl, which thank you very much for your help. The peach idea was great!! I just wanted to let you know that I had my first exam today and I was freaking out. So I was taking a break from studying and I read this post and it made me feel so much better! I went to my safety (and I went to a quite good undergrad which made me feel better) but I just adopted your atitude and I think I just might have passed! Thanks!!

Elle Woods said...

I don't know whether to congradulate you or pity you.

Elle Woods said...

I meant congradulate you on the attitude or pity you...Passing the exam is always a good thing.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I pity me sometimes too. :)