Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Impossible?

Is there any possibility that my drive to school is actually longer on the way there then on the way home? I mean, aside from the general principles of physics what it stopping it from being true. I know it sounds nuts, but I'm convinced it not only takes me longer to get to school but that the drive itself is also longer.

I suppose a more likely explanation would be that I have to drive on a main road before I reach the highway on my there and so when I'm on my way to school I account for the drive before the highway in my time subconsciously, whereas on my way home when I reach the main road I inherently think to myself that I'm almost home when in reality I still have a decently long way to go.

I'm sure my angst about going to school in comparison to my enthusiam about being home also shape my perspective on the drive. However, I'm still pretty sure it's a longer drive to school then home, I don't care what the laws of physics and general common sense say about it.

3 comments:

RedHerring45 said...

What laws of physics are you speaking to?

Maybe wind is making a difference in travel time. Or even the terrain can be slightly more hilly on the return drive.

Elle Woods said...

You're assuming I remember something about from High School Physics. I was just referencing that law that a straight line between 2 points has to be the same lenght both directions, whatever law that is. Whatever, I'm not a math and science person. Give me a paper to write and I'll knock your socks off though.

Yes, I said knock your socks off.

RedHerring45 said...

Just proves how much of a nerd I am. I get all beligerant when someone refers to the "laws of physics."