Wednesday, March 22, 2006

There Is Hope...

and It Doesn't Even Take 12 Steps. I'll admit it, I'm a recovering Westlaw Points Whore. Some students, unlike myself, are still in the midst of their addictions. I was never much for Lexis, since:

  1. I hate using it for research.
  2. You can't accumulate points as quickly (I think we all know this is the real reason).

I signed on everyday; researched the same citation everytime, signed off, played trivia, participated in trainings; in short I did it all. It felt better then just sitting in the law library during my lunch breaks and slacking while all the gunners started their outlines 3 days into the term. Plus the free coffee grinder, bar tools set, corkscrew, spa set, foot soaker and wine sealer were nice encouragement to stay in law school (I was unable to save points and always went for instant gratification instead).

However, after my 1L year I stopped my rampant point collecting during the summer and never really picked it up again. I think it's a combination of:

  1. I forgot about collecting points over the summer.
  2. I'm far too busy entertaining people with this amazing blog.
  3. I'm far too busy working 35 hours a week and going to school full time.

Just 3 simple steps and I'm fully rehabilitated. Now, even when I do research at work (I'll admit sometimes I'm too lazy to get out my firm password) I use my student account (shhh! Don't tell Westlaw), but I never sign off to collect the trivia points, it seems wrong to bill clients (or waste billable hours) earning Westlaw points.

No comments: