Sunday, March 19, 2006

To Blog or Not to Blog?

I think it goes without saying that things have been a little lackluster here (I know, I know, that implies there was a luster to begin with), I've been bored with the whole blogging thing lately, and as Barely Legal Mike put it while I was talking to him "there isn't much that can be said that hasn't already been said by you or other people 1000 times already." That's exactly how I feel about it, we all know law students are anal retentive asshats and that lawyers are self indulgent jerks. I'm not re-inventing the wheel here people.

Plus with all the negative feedback and what I see as the loss of creative control as a result of my job and other factors, blogging has stopped being the outlet for me that it once was. While I'm happy (and humbled/shocked) to be among the most popular law student run blogs it is adding a level of stress to my life. When I started blogging it was to keep in touch with a select group of people (one in particular), as a result of my own stupidity and other factors I no longer talk to that person, which makes me question why I'm even doing this at all anymore.

Lately I've been thinking about quitting a lot and weighing the enjoyment I get versus the amount that I stress I get from thinkging about what would happen were my boss ever to see this page (I know the odds are slim, but it's a consideration). As a matter of practice I make it a rule to let go of things when I'm getting less out of them then what I'm putting in, I'm just not sure if I'm there yet with the whole blogging thing.

Sidebar: I don't know how this post got to be so "poor little old me", I sat down to ask reader opinion on possible topics for exam time. I want to do a series since I'm usually too A.D.D. to do something like that, but during finals I'm always looking for ways to kill time. Here's what I've come up with:

  1. Stories of my Families dysfunction (most likely centering around my father, who I think is insane).
  2. Stories from my jobs in high school and college, I worked in a balloon store and a cosmetic store. While the whole idea is a little too "The Kroger Chronicles" for me, something appeals to me when it comes to writing about latex and scented oils. Plus the horrid experiences at both made me decide law school wasn't such a bad idea after all.
  3. Some sort of amalgamation of stories from my developmental years (think killing 2 birds with one stone) in order to demonstrate more clearly how I became the person I am today.
I'm not really sure what I want to do here at all so I'll leave it to reader feedback (AIM me at ElleWoods626 or you can e-mail me at LegallyBlondeBlog@gmail.com), unless the feedback is dumb, in which case I'll just have to decide on my own.

PS-I wish I could dictate blog posts and have my secretary type and proofread them. My elementary school practiced "imaginary spelling" (where words were spelled however you thought they were spelled) and didn't teach any grammar at all. Any grammar I do know I picked up from Spanish and German classes, so needless to say, I am not a rockstar when it comes to spelling and grammar.

No comments: