Monday, January 30, 2006

Medicare/Medican't

I just had to help my grandparents enroll in Medicare Rx Drug coverage. My grandma had been pressuring my grandpa to figure it out for months and after attempting to read the booklet multiple times he was so confused and disenfranchised that he had all but given up.

My grandma doesn't take any prescription drugs at all but apparently she still had to be enrolled in a plan-which she will have to pay $20.47 a month for and then in the future should they ever need Prescriptions they were range in price between $12-$35. Way to save seniors money Dubya, frighten them with increased costs down the road so they enroll whether they need coverage or not. My grandma has to pay $250 a year in case she needs Prescription coverage sometime in the future, when really she's extremely healthy for 77.

My grandpa actually does benefit from the plan I found him, which took me about 2 hours. He had been paying about $2,500 in Prescription drugs a year and now he'll be paying $13.67 a month premium, $50.88 a month in Co-Pay's for prescriptions which applies after he's paid his $250 deductible.

All and all, while it did take me about 3 hours between reading the manual and time spent on the phone it wasn't that hard to figure out, unless you're a senior citizen who doesn't really catch on to complex things which require cross referencing pages, prolonged time on the phone, mathematical computation and adjustments based on what prescriptions you take.

Wow, things are going downhill here when I'm posting my my cell phone and Medicare. Whatever I'm on pain killers and the fact that I even composed a post is impressive.