Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Why Am I Not Surprised?

I finally decided I might want to look into "what it takes to register for character and fitness and to take the bar" in my state and to "register for the MPRE" which I'd planned on taking in August (being that then I have a safety net if I fail).

So apparently registering for the bar requires getting some sort of packet, which you can't request online but rather have to request via mail so after checking the dates and seeing I had ample time, I realized that could be blown off for a while (or at least until I got home). Granted I have no idea if you need to pass character and fitness before you take the MPRE (it doesn't seem likely you'd need to-but that is applying logic to the law-something I think we can all agree is a horrible idea), but I digress.

So I'm all but finished registering for the MPRE and all I have to do is click that I've read the terms and conditions (which usually I never read-because really, if my Contracts Prof admitted she doesn't why should I?) and click submit.

But I start thinking, "Hey this is your career, maybe you should read the terms and conditions?" So I look for a link to click, because, based on what I vaguely remember from Contracts1 if you're going to have a certification that someone has read the terms and conditions at the very least there must be a link/pop-up window where the person can read said terms and conditions. You guessed it; there was no link, no pop-up window; and for that matter I'm not even sure the terms and conditions were even provided on the site at all.

So either:

  1. I just failed the first part of the MPRE, OR;
  2. The lovely people at MPRE haven't caught up with e-commerce law, OR;
  3. My version of e-commerce law is completely wrong.
1This might not be true, I might have just made it up because it's what I think the law should be...And I never really paid attention much in contracts-especially to the e-commerce stuff since we were told we would not be tested on it.

No comments: